Thursday, August 02, 2007

Remembering Mauritius

Listening to: Maaya Sakamoto - Yubiwa
Feeling: Tired but alive


AND TOUCHDOWN!

I'm back and glad. One week in Mauritius was beautiful but also tiring. The time difference was not huge but still it is affecting me. The trip itself was absolutely fantastic I kid you not.....

You know how some people look better in person than in pictures? Mauritius is one place you HAVE to be there to experience the beauty. Stand in front of the beach, with the wind whipping my skirt up and leaving my hair all tangled; the beauty of Mauritius cannot be explained with just a nice panoramic picture. I tried my best...

Colours changing hue
Taken at about sunset on the last night on Mauritius

Still, this picture is nothing like the real thing...

I sit on the deck chair, watching families taking their kids out for walks on the beach and a pair of hotel staff picking up shells (or rather live shellfish) for the kids art classes. In the horizon, clouds scurry across the blue skies while the wind howls and palm trees rustle. It's one of those moments you wish time would just stop so you can enjoy the moment a little longer.

Within a few minutes, the scene changes...

misty
A few minutes after the last picture was taken...

I can still hear the Indian Ocean roaring and when I close my eyes, I could still see the beautiful reefs and giant waves. I half expect to open my eyes and still find myself in yet another hotel in Mauritius. I was driving to meet SarahN for a drink just now and remembered the beautiful sugar cane plantation flanked roads. It's addictive, this place. The people were friendly and is always smiling.

Our guide Viki and Stephane were angels especially Viki who had accompanied us throughout the week long stay.

Now that I'm back home, back to reality. Working day tomorrow and I'll be updating soon with full details!

1 comment:

Lrong Lim said...

Envy you, my dear... have yet to visit this place... hopefully I can muster all my resources to press that button in not too far a future...