Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hongky Tonk Hong Kong

Listening to: Mariah Carey - Underneath the Stars
Feeling: Like I don't wanna go back to work


I have no idea what the title of this post is about. Just thought it sounded pretty cool. mad laughter Anywayz, on to the post that is about 2 weeks overdue...

When Cathay Pacific decided to send someone from the magazine for their 60th anniversary birthday, my boss sent me an sms to ask me to keep the first weekend of July free for the trip. When I received the message, I nearly jumped through the roof. I ran around like a crazy chipmunk on meth and started telling anyone around that cared to hear about my virgin overseas assignment.

After a flurry of crazy running around getting my passport ready and stuff like that, I am finally due to fly to the land of Chinese soap stars and crazy shopping, Hong Kong.

Lucky me, I got to travel with the crew of NTV7's The Breakfast Show which mean I get to stay with nutty Daphne Iking, Sheila and Wong. And imagine my surprise when I got to know that the PR person in charge of taking me there was once my collegemate! :p Totally lucky that Cathay Pacific's rep was a cool hip girl who didn't mind crazy antics from me.

So I was awake bright and early for my flight (on Cathay Pacific of course, business class no less. BLISS! Excuse me for bragging, it's my first time! =.=) and as I reached KLIA, had no problems checking in. Went into the lounge area and chilled for a bit while waiting to board. Finally went onboard with no further delay. I feel so jakun-ed cause it had been about nine years since I've flown. Can't find the TV cause it was hidden somewhere, but service was excellent and the food, WONDERFUL. They serve almonds, warm and toasty before serving lunch and lunch was spectacular.

Reached Hong Kong in about three hours and we were greeted by loads of people. To be specific, loads of Chinese people. Felt abit weirded out cause I was totally not used to seeing that many Chinese people in one place. Call me racist, but it was a culture shock for me. Though I had been there before but I was prolly too young back then to feel so. So back to the airport, the Hong Kong airport was beautiful! It looked alot like KLIA (I personally think KLIA looks nicer, but that's just myself) but we had no time to hang around and admire it as we were then greeted almost immediately by our friendly tour guide, Stanley. (hope I got his name right) Stanley spoke perfect English with a slight British accent which quickly killed my assumption that all Hongkies speaks English with a funny lilting slang. As we got into the little tour bus, we were given a quick rundown on the islands of Hong Kong.

The first thing that we oooh ed over was the bridge that connects Lantau Island where the airport is situated and Hong Kong.

HK Bridge
Pride and joy of Hong Kong

I guess Hongkies see the bridge like how we see our Petronas Twin Towers, something that is magnificent and beautiful. Gleams in the sun, tall big and really expensive to build. Tourist attraction, what-nots. It's pretty to look at and in the fading sunlight, it looked abit like the Penang Bridge. LOL...

First thing I realized was that there were loads and loads of tall buildings. According to Stanley the friendly guide, more and more tall buildings are sprouting out ever since the old airport was shut down. Why? Cause the old airport was so near houses that they couldn't be more than a certain height for the fear that the planes might take the top of the buildings off. Must be tough living in such a small country actually...

Chopsticks
Look damn sleek, but can't imagine how much an apartment unit must have cost here

Arrived at out hotel to find that I own a store here...

Yue Hwa
LOL!

My room was wonderful! Had a nice bouncy bed with fluffy pillows (Wished that there was someone to share it with me... LOL) Unfortunately I was having such a good time that I forgot to take pictures of the hotel room. My room looks directly onto a HUGE Escada shop and a small corner of the LV store. Cute...

First day there was pretty uneventful. Had a wonderful dinner at Knutsford Terrace with a whole row of quaint restaurants. Started raining after abit and after the rain stopped we had a short after dinner stroll around the area. It was sales season and citizens of Hong Kong came out in full force for shopping sprees. No doubt clothes there were pretty cheap but the smaller shops do not allow trying of garments below a certain price. Ekk..

We were at the Peak the following day. I remembered going there the last time. We took a bus up back then and for the first time in my life, I thought I was gonna die. Steep roads and crazy double decker bus drivers are a lethal combination. This time we took the tram up. It was crazy cause it was really steep and the tram is tilting at about 40degrees.

Peak Tram
Train tracks to heaven

Got there and went for some fun with wax. The newly opened Madam Tussaud's housed about 30 wax figurines. I managed to cam-ho/humped/insulted nearly about 20 of them.

Booyah
Take that!

Hitler
And that!

Ayumi
Say WASABI! The pop princess and me

Becks
Me and Becks... It was after all the football season then...

So after ooh-ahhing and smooching with celebs, we went back to the hotel for a yummy lunch. Those who knew me would prolly know how picky I can be when it comes to food and my immense dislike for seafood but when the dishes arrived, I knew I had to forget that I hate seafood for once.

Abalone
Abalone with asparagus tips

Had some rest in between and then it was time for dinner again. Man... It was a truly busy day.

Roasted stuff
The front of the restaurant with all roast ducks and roast pork. Apparently their specialty is their roast pork but I still think the one in Seremban is better!

Beer
Dinner in Hong Kong is not complete with Tsingtao beer :p

But not too busy to cam ho abit...

Me in HK
No one beats me at cam-hoing... Maybe just ONE person I know you know we all know...

The next day, we some free and easy time so I went off walking alone. Guess who I bumped into?

Kwon Sang Woo
OMFG, it's Kwong Sang WOooOoOoOooooOOoO

So cute!

Pig insides
That's pig's insides or something... Not sure and I was not brave enough to ask cause the aunty selling it looks pretty nasty. LOL

Got back to the hotel to find the kind people of Langham Hotel (Tsim Tsa Tsui) provided me with strawberries dipped in chocolate disguised as cute waiters... NICE!

Strawberries
How can you say no to this?

That kinda wrapped up my trip to Hong Kong. Totally eventful and busy but can't reveal too much until the article is published. All I can say is that Cathay Pacific is totally wicked. So if you're gonna fly to Hong Kong or anywhere from Hong Kong anytime soon, I totally recommend it. Air stewardess was hot, the air stewards we saw were totally hot too but unfortunately they weren't serving us. Sigh... What luck.

Cute
Proof that stewards in Cathay Pacific is all cute! HELLOOOOO YUMMY BABY! Are you gay?

Food onboard was YUM... all outgoing flights from Hong Kong will have a special menu direct from seven popular restaurants from Hong Kong so if you missed out on the local delicacies and specialties while staying at there, you still have one last chance at Cathay Pacific!

Skies
Byebye Hong Kong and hello KL...

*P/S: I am so not totally whoring Cathay Pacific. I swear!*



No comments: